Monday, October 10, 2011

Rotkohl

With all the bountiful Fall squash, cabbage, onions, potatoes.... I felt it was time to get into my warm, cozy cooking mode.  Being that it is October, I thought I'd bring out the ole German heritage and whip up some Rotkohl (rote-coal), german red-cabbage.


You can find a recipe here: German Rotkohl

Of course depending on what region you or your family is from, the recipe will vary. This recipe is from Bavaria, the southern region of Germany, where my mother hails.  I have made it so often that I usually wing it and add different ingredients depending on what I have on hand. Just by Google-ing(funny how this is now a word), the results are plentiful! Traditionally you would serve this side with Sauerbraten (type of German roast), but tonight I am feeling Bratwurst, fried potatoes and beer....yummy. Just right for the dip in temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment